Everyone loves chicken nuggets!! Kids and adults alike!! However, not all chicken nuggets are made equal.
A quick search on MyFitnessPal’s database of recipes (homemade or frozen nuggets) shows a huge difference in the nutritional information. Some nuggets were around 40 calories each whereas others (including some homemade) were almost 100 calories for 1 nugget.
When choosing a recipe, have a look at the nutritional info before deciding which one to pick. The eat clean chicken nuggets recipe I’m sharing with you is very reasonable at 100 calories for 4 nuggets. It’s also really easy to make! (You know I love quick and easy).
• 3 x 6oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• ¼ cup oat bran
• ¼ cup wheat germ
• 1 Tbsp coarsely ground flaxseed
• ¼ cup coarsely ground almonds (optional)
• ½ tsp sea salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• Pinch garlic powder
• ½ cup water
• 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or coating lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
2. Cut chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces, about 1½ inches square. Set aside.
3. Next, combine all dry ingredients in a large container with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well. This is your coating mixture.
4. Combine water and egg in a medium bowl. Dip each piece in the water-egg white mixture. Then dip each piece in the coating mixture. Make sure each piece is well coated.
5. Place on the baking sheet. When all of your chicken has been coated and your baking sheet is full, place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
And there you have it!! In about 30 minutes you’ve got healthy and delicious chicken nuggets!! YUM!
Note: They aren’t overly crispy like regular nuggets, so you could modify the recipe by cooking the outside of the nuggets in a frying pan with a bit of oil before putting them in the oven. (I know there is a technical term for this… anyone?)
Nutritional Info (1 serving = 4 nuggets)
Fat: 3.5 g
Protein: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Original recipe from here.
YOUR TURN: How would you eat these? Snack? Lunch? Dinner? Do you have a favorite healthy sauce? Share in the comments!
Join the FREE 1 Week 15 Minute Exercise Challenge
Workout Smarter, Not Longer.
15 minutes is all you need.
- Full-length workout video send directly to your inbox each day
- Self-care mini-challenges
- Daily reminder emails
- Accountability and Support